Home State News By-Election: Police Impose 18-Hour Movement Restriction in Kano
State News

By-Election: Police Impose 18-Hour Movement Restriction in Kano

Share
Share

The Kano State Police Command has announced an 18-hour restriction on movement across parts of the metropolis ahead of Saturday’s by-election.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is set to conduct by-elections in the Kano Municipal and Ungogo State Constituencies to fill vacancies created by the death of two members of the State House of Assembly on the same day last year.

In a statement issued following an Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security meeting held at the command headquarters, the police said the restriction would be in effect from 12:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 21, 2026, within the affected constituencies.

According to the command’s spokesperson, CSP Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa, the movement of vehicles, tricycles, and motorcycles will be prohibited during the period, except for those on essential duties. Exemptions will apply to ambulances, fire service trucks, and vehicles conveying electoral officials and accredited election observers.

The police also banned the carrying of weapons and the display of items or clothing bearing party symbols. Only eligible voters and INEC-accredited party agents will be allowed access to polling units, while loitering in and around voting centres will not be tolerated.

In addition, state-backed security outfits such as Vigilante Groups, Neighbourhood Watch, Hisbah, and KAROTA personnel have been barred from operating at polling units.

The command assured residents of adequate security and pledged that security agencies would remain neutral, professional, and apolitical throughout the electoral process.

Residents of the affected local government areas, as well as visitors, were urged to cooperate with law enforcement officers and promptly report any electoral malpractice to the appropriate authorities to ensure a peaceful and credible exercise.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
State News

Abia Wins as Court Rejects Fresh ₦1.8bn Fee Demand Over “Duplicate” Suit

A High Court in the Federal Capital Territory has dismissed a lawsuit...

State News

Otti Celebrates Former SSG Kalu, Says Leadership Strength Lies in Teamwork

Abia State Governor, Dr. Alex Otti, OFR, has praised the immediate past...

State News

Former Vice President Cheers Otti’s Progress Amid Welfare and Infrastructure Gains

Former Vice President Prof. Yemi Osinbajo has expressed strong approval of Governor...

State News

Kebbi Sends Aspiring Doctors Abroad as Part of Major Health Education Push

Thirty‑five young Nigerians from Kebbi State have safely touched down in Addis...