A wave of violent attacks across Kebbi, Borno and Kwara states, including the abduction of schoolgirls, the killing of a senior military officer and the murder of church worshippers, has intensified public fear over Nigeria’s worsening security crisis. The situation has forced President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to suspend planned foreign trips and triggered widespread condemnation from political leaders, civil society groups and regional bodies.
Gunmen kill five, abduct worshippers in Kwara church
Eruku community in Kwara State was thrown into chaos on Tuesday night when armed, masked attackers stormed the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke Isegun branch, during a service. The gunmen opened fire immediately, killing five people, injuring several others and abducting multiple worshippers, including the presiding pastor. Eyewitnesses said the attackers fled with their captives through forest routes.
This incident came barely 24 hours after armed men invaded Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School in Maga, Kebbi State, killing a teacher and abducting 24 students. In Borno State, terrorists also executed Brigadier-General Musa Uba during an ambush.
Tinubu halts G20, AU–EU summit trips to oversee security operations
President Tinubu cancelled his scheduled appearances at the G20 Leaders’ Summit in South Africa and the AU–EU Summit in Angola, opting to remain in Nigeria for full security briefings. According to presidential aides, the decision reflects the administration’s position that national safety takes precedence over international engagements.
Special Adviser Bayo Onanuga said new travel dates would be announced once the President is satisfied with the progress of military operations.
Shettima visits Kebbi, assures families of abducted students
Vice President Kashim Shettima was dispatched to Kebbi yesterday to console families affected by the school abduction. He conveyed the President’s distress over the attack, describing it as an assault on Nigeria’s collective conscience.
“Kebbi’s pain is Nigeria’s pain,” Shettima said, assuring parents that securing the safe return of the abducted schoolgirls is the government’s most urgent priority. He also pledged justice for those responsible for the killing of Brigadier-General Uba and other victims.
Protests erupt in Kwara over delayed security response
In Eruku, angry youths took to the streets and blocked the Ilorin–Kabba highway, expressing frustration that Tuesday’s attack lasted for nearly an hour without any security intervention. One protester, Timothy Joshua, said his wife and granddaughter were among those abducted.
Kwara State Commissioner of Police, Adekimi Ojo, visited the community for an assessment, met with local leaders and ordered the deployment of additional officers to track the attackers and rescue the victims.
Saraki, Governor AbdulRazaq condemn attack
Former Senate President Bukola Saraki and Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq both denounced the Eruku church attack, calling for immediate reinforcement and stronger protection for vulnerable communities. AbdulRazaq praised the Federal Government for deploying 900 extra troops to stabilize troubled areas of the state.
NBA: Nigeria nearing breaking point
The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), meeting in Benin City, warned that the killings and kidnappings signal a deepening national crisis. NBA leaders demanded a complete overhaul of the nation’s security architecture, saying impunity and rising terror attacks show that “no one is safe”.
The association highlighted over 145 abductions reported within four days across Kebbi, Niger and Zamfara states, warning that terrorists are expanding into previously secure regions.
Amaechi faults Federal Government’s handling of insecurity
Former Transportation Minister Rotimi Amaechi criticized the government’s response, saying lack of decisive leadership has emboldened criminals. He urged President Tinubu to take stronger actions, strengthen intelligence operations and prioritize the protection of lives.
Olawepo-Hashim: FG losing control of northern security
Former presidential candidate Gbenga Olawepo-Hashim said recent attacks show the government has lost operational control in parts of the North. He cited assaults on police posts, villages and schools as evidence that terrorists now operate without fear of consequences.
MPAC: Nigeria at a dangerous crossroads
The Muslim Public Affairs Centre (MPAC) warned that the surge in attacks, including the killing of senior officers and mass abductions, shows the nation is “failing in its most fundamental duty: protecting life”.
DAWN Commission renews call for state police
The Development Agenda for Western Nigeria (DAWN) Commission urged the government to fast-track the creation of state police, warning that the military is overstretched and the country risks a total breakdown of law and order without structural reforms.
Federal Government vows to secure schools
Education Minister Tunji Alausa condemned the Kebbi school attack and pledged enhanced safety measures in vulnerable schools nationwide. He said the government is working with security agencies to ensure the safe rescue of the abducted students.
Army to recruit 24,000 soldiers
To boost national security, Chief of Army Staff Lieutenant General Waidi Shuaibu announced plans to recruit and train 24,000 soldiers over the next six months. He said expanded training facilities would allow the army to respond more effectively to evolving threats.
Leave a comment