The White House has defended a US-backed peace proposal for Russia and Ukraine, insisting that the plan, supported by President Donald Trump, is “good” for both countries despite concerns that it aligns closely with Moscow’s demands.
Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said on Thursday that Trump’s special envoy, Steve Witkoff, and Secretary of State Marco Rubio had been “quietly” working on the proposal for the past month.
“It’s ongoing and it’s in flux, but the president supports this plan,” Leavitt said during a press briefing. “It’s a good plan for both Russia and Ukraine, and we believe it should be acceptable to both sides. We’re working very hard to get it done.”
She confirmed that Washington has been holding “good conversations” with both Kyiv and Moscow to determine what commitments each side is willing to make. This marked the first official acknowledgment from the White House after Ukrainian officials revealed that the plan had been presented to President Volodymyr Zelensky.
Sources familiar with the draft told AFP that the proposal includes several of Russia’s core demands, such as Ukraine surrendering territory and scaling down its military, conditions that have drawn criticism.
Leavitt refused to discuss specific details but rejected suggestions that the proposal would disadvantage Ukraine. She added that Rubio and Witkoff met with Ukrainian representatives last week.
According to her, President Trump, who has vowed to end the conflict within 24 hours of taking office in January, has grown “increasingly frustrated” with both parties but remains committed to securing peace.
She defended the administration’s efforts by citing what she described as Trump’s previous “historic successes” in the Middle East, including the fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza.
“We believe similar progress is possible with Russia and Ukraine, and we’re working very hard to achieve that,” she said.
Meanwhile, Ukraine confirmed its willingness to work with the United States on the proposed peace plan, following Washington’s formal presentation of the document to Zelensky. Although neither side has released the full text, reports indicate it may reflect several of Moscow’s key positions.
Zelensky’s office said he plans to discuss the details directly with President Trump in the coming days.
What We Know About the Plan
Territorial Concessions:
According to a source familiar with the 28-point document, Ukraine is being asked to recognize Russia’s control over Crimea and other territories currently occupied by Russian forces.
Russia presently holds about 20 percent of Ukraine’s territory. Moscow claims to have annexed Donetsk, Lugansk, Zaporizhzhia, and Kherson regions in 2022, as well as Crimea in 2014.
Leave a comment