Home State News Lagos Govt Launches Outreach After Viral Assault Video
State News

Lagos Govt Launches Outreach After Viral Assault Video

Share
Share

The Lagos State Government, through the Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA), has initiated an outreach to locate and support a young woman who alleged sexual assault in a viral social media video.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the agency said it became aware of the incident following multiple reports and tags on social media platforms, particularly TikTok and X, where the video gained widespread attention. It noted that immediate steps were taken to identify and reach the survivor in order to provide support and necessary intervention.

“We want to state clearly that we are actively making efforts to reach the survivor to offer immediate support and intervention,” the agency said, adding that attempts had been made to contact her through available channels and that outreach efforts were ongoing.

The DSVA called on members of the public with credible information about the young woman’s whereabouts to contact the agency through its verified social media platforms.

Reaffirming its zero-tolerance stance on domestic and sexual violence, the Lagos State Government stressed that sexual assault remains a criminal offence under Nigerian law. It emphasised that survivors are entitled to protection, care, psychosocial support and access to justice.

The video, which circulated widely online, sparked public outrage and prompted calls for swift government action, with users tagging relevant authorities and demanding protection for the alleged victim.

In a follow-up update, the agency confirmed it had established contact with a close friend of the survivor and learned that she had been discharged from the hospital. The DSVA expressed appreciation to members of the public who provided useful information through direct messages.

However, further findings revealed that the alleged incident occurred in neighbouring Ogun State, placing it outside Lagos’ jurisdiction. The agency disclosed that all relevant information had been forwarded to the appropriate authorities in Ogun State, where the State Police Command has taken over the investigation.

The DSVA, which coordinates responses to cases of domestic and sexual violence in Lagos, reiterated its commitment to providing confidential reporting channels, emergency response services, psychosocial care and legal referrals.

Advocates have underscored the importance of sustained public awareness and accessible reporting mechanisms in tackling sexual and gender-based violence, noting that social media platforms increasingly serve as initial points of disclosure.

As of press time, authorities in Ogun State had yet to provide additional details on the ongoing investigation.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
State News

Lagos Agency Seeks Contact with Alleged Sexual Assault Survivor After Viral Video

The Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA) has called on...

State News

Gov Lawal Commissions Key Projects in Zamfara

Zamfara State Governor, Dauda Lawal, has reaffirmed his administration’s resolve to drive...

State News

Aiyedatiwa Denies Role in APC Attack, Blames Miscreants

Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has denied allegations linking him to the...

State News

Cross River Residents Demand Urgent Repair of Key Federal Highway

Communities across Cross River State have taken to the streets to protest...